Suing in small claims court

In small claims court, you can sue for money or the return of personal property valued at $25,000 or less, not including interest and costs.

To sue a person or business in small claims court, your lawsuit, called a claim, must fall into one of the two following categories:

Claims for money owed under an agreement:

such as,
unpaid accounts for goods or services sold and delivered
unpaid loans
unpaid rent
NSF (non-sufficient funds) cheques

Claims for damages:

such as,
property damage
clothes damaged by a dry cleaner
personal injuries
breach of contract

If your want to sue for more than $25,000, you will have to take your case to the Superior Court of Justice (“civil court”).