Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:
- Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
- expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
- will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
- You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
- You either
- have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
- lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
- lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
- You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
- You have a valid passport.
- The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
- To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
How to apply
For this open work permit, you must apply online by July 27, 2021.
You can only get this open work permit once, and it cannot be extended. If your passport is valid for 18 months or longer, then you’ll be issued an open work permit for up to 18 months.
Step 1: Make sure you have what you need
To apply online, you need
Step 2: Read the instruction guide
You should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.
Venezuelan passport holders
You may need to complete extra steps when you fill out your application.
Step 3: Pay your fees
In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application. We’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.
For this application, you’ll need to pay the
- work permit fee
- open work permit fee
- You’ll be asked to pay this fee up front, but you’ll be automatically refunded once your application is being processed.
- fee to restore your status in Canada if your temporary resident status has expired more than 90 days ago
For now, if you’re in Canada and applying to work, study or stay temporarily in Canada, you do not need to give your biometrics. Learn more about the exemption.
Step 4: Create your online account or sign in
You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to
- pay your fees
- submit your application forms
- check your status
How to start your application
Once you sign in to your account, you’ll need to:
- Go to the Start your application section on the account welcome page.
- Click “Apply to come to Canada.”
- On the next page, scroll down to the I do not have a personal reference code section.
- Click on the “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit” button.
Get your document checklist
You must answer some questions to create a personalized document checklist.
Make sure you answer these questions correctly
Upload the correct documents
You need to include the documents listed in your application, including
- a letter that says you’re applying for an open work permit under the Public Policy Facilitating the Issuance of an Open Work Permit to Former or Current Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Holders
If you can’t apply online
You can submit a paper application if either
- you can’t apply online because of a disability, or
- there’s a problem with the online application